The quality of indoor air is very important. On rainy days, it is humid, stale and produces foul odours. If this situation continues, it can lead to mould/fungus and other issues. The best solution for this problem is to install an exhaust fan. Exhaust fans come in many varieties and different costs. Although windows increase the indoor air quality, it cannot always help us. The following are the different types of exhaust fan available in the market.
Wall-mounted exhaust fan
- It is attached to the external wall of the home.
- Installation is a bit time-consuming.
- Noise production is another issue.
Exterior exhaust fan
- It sucks the air in the home and expels it out.
- No Noise issue.
Inline exhaust fan
- They are high capacity fans that have long-running ducts.
- They are also called as remote fans.
Exhaust fans with light
- Apart from the role that the above-mentioned fans do, they also lighten up the ventilated area.
- It makes people feel enthusiastic and cheerful.
The following factors must be considered while choosing an exhaust fan.
- The first important factor in determining the exhaust fan is the size of our room.
- The exhaust fan can perform to its maximum only when the right one is chosen.
- The room size is chosen based on the expectation that the air change must be 15 times, for example.
- Similarly, decide the number of air changes which mainly depends upon the environment and surroundings.
- Measurement of the room/bathroom/kitchen, i.e. length, height and width is required.
- Multiply the above with the air change expectation to achieve the maximum capacity of the exhaust fan.
- The climate may be hot or cold depending upon the weather.
- During hot times, steam sticks onto the glass of the bathroom.
- During cold times, moisture and humidity keep varying.
- To balance the above situation, an exhaust fan of better options must be chosen.
- The exhaust fans of different varieties come from Rs. 700 to Rs. 2500.
- Our budget plays a major role in choosing one from the given range of cost.
- If the length of the duct keeps increasing, then the capacity of the fan decreases as it has to expel air over long ducts.
- The best option is to keep the duct as short as possible without any bends and twists.
- A good exhaust fan must-have on and off timer attached to it.
- Also, it must consume 20% less energy than mentioned in the guidelines.
- Nowadays, exhaust fans come not only with air sucking and expelling process but also with varied options.
- They come along with light, heat lamps etc.
- The one best suited for our home must be identified correctly.
There are many good brands available in the market. Some of them are:
- Crompton Greaves
An exhaust fan is necessary to improve the air quality, which can last longer with proper maintenance. The best option always depends on our needs and budget.