Introduction and ingredients
Making yogurt at home is the first step to a healthy life. Home-made yogurt contains less added sugar. The ingredients needed to make yogurt are whole milk or 2% milk (recommended) and plain yogurt containing cultures. Use the best quality milk and yogurt available. The paraphernalia includes an electric yogurt maker, liquid measuring container, saucepan, wooden spoon, and ladle.
Steps to follow for yogurt preparation:
- The first step is heating the milk in the saucepan to a temperature of around 180 degrees. Foaming of the milk around the edges of the saucepan is the sign to stop any further heating of the milk.
- In the second step, the cooling of the milk by placing the large bowl of milk into a large container of ice will take around 10 minutes. In the meantime, you can place the yogurt into a small-sized bowl.
- In the third step, add small quantities of milk into the yogurt and increase the quantity gradually. As you add the milk into the yogurt, ladle them by stirring with the whisk. This process of gradual mixing of a hot and cold substance is called tempering and it helps to prevent cooking of the cooler ingredient. Follow it up by completely mixing the yogurt and the milk by stirring them till the mixture becomes evenly smooth.
- The fourth step is the step of customization where you can add your favorite flavors using jelly or vanilla extract. We would recommend having one batch of plain yogurt to check the evenness and smoothness of yogurt as well as the taste of it. Our recommended flavor will be vanilla for the homemade yogurt.
- Follow it up by preparing the yogurt containers by filling them up with a mixture of milk and yogurt. Take proper care that the mixture doesn’t stick to the walls of the container. If you are using a big container, you can pour the entire mixture into the container and place it in the yogurt maker. Switch on the yogurt maker and adjust the incubation period.
- The time for preparation will take somewhere around 7 to 10 hours. For a whole milk and yogurt mixture, it takes around seven hours and skim-milk and yogurt mixture take around 10 hours for preparation.
- The last step Is refrigeration of the yogurt. Remove the containers from the yogurt maker containers and cover them with a lid.
- Then place it in the refrigerator to cool for around 3 hours. To make a thicker Greek yogurt, you can let the yogurt chill for a longer duration.
Yogurt is very healthy for the gut as well as increases the metabolic activities. You can keep the yogurt for 10 days in the refrigerator and can also prepare wonderful cuisines using the yogurt! Enjoy homemade yogurt and do write to us about your reviews about it.